Saturday, May 3, 2008

Funny Games US

God knows how much we've been looking forward to this. We've already written about it several times, and finally; here comes the actual review:


I have no idea wether you want the film compared with the original, or if you simply want it reviewed as an own movie. The last one is kind of hard, since the movie is, except for the language, which almost excactly like the original. I have little negative to say about this, except for Brady Corbet who seemed to have studied the original Peter's every move. He was excactly the same, and frankly, that bugged me alittle. The kid on the other hand was actually extremely talanted, and made a certain "cat in the bag" scene so powerful it made my body twitch in agony and excitement, all at once. Talking about scare-factor I have a hard time figuring out if the original is simply scarier, if I didn't get scared because I've already seen it or if I didn't get scared because they don't talk german (well you have to admit, everything get's scarier when it's in a language you don't understand). I also had a hard time finding Michael Pitt creepy in the beginning, but after a while I just had to accept the fact that Pitt had interpreted the role in his own way, which actually worked magnificaly. The only thing I really missed in his performance was the Arno Frisch-way of saying "Ciao bella".
This is my favorite line, and even though I try my best not let that come in the way of me absolutely adoring this remake, it kinda does. I've been trying to justifie Pitt's bored and apathic "ciao bella...", but I just can't forgive him. Talking about performances it's needless for me to say that Tim Roth was brilliant. Even layed down on the floor, screaming, I never once thought of the wounded cop in Reservoir Dogs. To shake off the image of Naomi Watts in The Ring on the other hand, was harder. This has absolutely nothing to do with the lady's performance, but my general opinion of her. I was first able to overcome this judgemental image when she started crying. The woman knows how to cry.


I hope this review is helpful for even you who haven't seen the original, but either way I strongly advice you to see it. And if you have no idea what this film is about I will inform you of this:


If you want blood, gore and bigbreasted women, go see Doomsday, but if you're looking for a movie which will make you cry and shit your pants at the same time (and like me, would want a good ol' piece of art at the same time) this is the movie.


Ciao bella

No comments: